This Is Me

Friday, September 09, 2005

The Price I Pay for Beauty

Is $23.00 to be exact. However, the additional fees I pay in lost sleep is steeper. Waking up at 6:00am on a Friday morning to drag my sleepy body over to the East Lansing Douglass J day salon for an eyebrow and upper lip waxing loses me an hour and a half of precious Friday morning sleep. Precious, because I get so little sleep during the week anyway, especially now that I'm dating an insomniac. However, I have proven that however over-committed I was BEFORE dating Jeremiah, there was still room to fit more activities into my schedule. It was helpful, however, that I spent such a large amount of time with him beforehand, as he was (and is still) such a good friend. However, the toll on my mental and physical well-being became apparent to me this morning. I had my monthly ritual-pain-for-the-sake-of-beauty and delicious Douglass J coffee, and got to work half an hour early (better early than late!), mainly because I'm the Head Honcho (offical title) in the office today and got to park under the building and not take my usual trek to the building. Because I was there waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too early, I decided to do something constructive with my time and took a nap under my desk until the time that I should have arrived at work. At this point, I thought I was fairly good to go, especially after I had my intern make coffee (wuh-ha ha! So stereotypical! Can't have her getting above herself! She needs to know her place!) and so I thought I'd be getting yet MORE caffeine into my body. I'm not really a coffee drinker, I'm more of an herbal tea and 2 slices of Ezekial bread toast in the morning kind of girl, so I thought "Ah ha! I'll be AWAKE today!" I was sadly mistaken. To add some extra zing to my caffeinated delight, I decided to mix in some hot chocolate, non-dairy creamer, and sugar (if the sugar from the creamer and chocolate weren't enough!). I was stirring in the sugar when I realized that it was NOT sugar I was pouring in but salt! And it's not like the packets look the same, or that I rarely use either of them either. My daily luncheon is usually a Thai Kitchen soup, to which I always add one salt packet - yes the very same salt packet that I was adding to my coffee. Fortunately, my intern and I discovered it about the same time and only after I had added just a little to my coffee creation. However, I think I really do have a few screws loose this morning due to the early wake-up and my face having to endure so much torture at such an early hour.

However, I would not change my montly ritual for the world. Each month, I feel like my face is a butterfly that has just emerged from its hairy chrysalis. And I enjoy having warm wax on my face as much as I enjoy playing with candles with my fingers. It's the taking of the wax off my face I have an issue with. And really, it's not all that bad; it's much better than tweezing, in my humble opinion.

But it's still a price to pay - although worth it.

3 Comments:

  • At 2:14 PM, Blogger Esther said…

    Yeah, you do have some screws loose. ;op By the way, I counted 7 "however"s in your post. Two of them were in the same sentence!

     
  • At 12:27 PM, Blogger TeaLizzy said…

    That's a great post. But you should sleep late on Saturdays. That's how I deal with not getting enough sleep!

     
  • At 2:13 AM, Blogger Julie said…

    I kind of don't like being called cute, but maybe it's a good thing after all, because I was totally delighted by your post and I think you are cute!

    (look, we all have ended our comments with exclamation points)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home