This Is Me

Friday, September 23, 2005

"I think democracy absolutely depends on the continuing right of the ignorant and misinformed to make all the core decisions in our society, and I would never place a mandatory restriction like that on people's right to vote." - Orson Scott Card

Given alone that sounds like the worst statement possible. But it really is true. We wouldn't be free if we were forced to be informed. So continues all the stupid majority making decisions for the informed minority. Gotta love democracy. Too bad this isn't really a Republic anymore.

3 Comments:

  • At 8:19 AM, Blogger TeaLizzy said…

    Do you think he's serious? I'm assuming you've read the context; without it I would assume sarcasm.

     
  • At 4:42 PM, Blogger Xana Ender said…

    Well, sure he's being sarcastic in one sense, but in another sense it's all in seriousness. In a society where everyone votes and makes decisions there is no silly pre-requisite for knowledge of a situation or topics or anything like that. So, he's right.

     
  • At 8:21 AM, Blogger TeaLizzy said…

    Point taken. Though I'm not sure I'd have the guts to put it that way. I suppose when it comes down to it I have a very bizarre political philosophy, cobbled from bits of monarchism and Cicero. Maybe I should take the quiz.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home