This Is Me

Friday, January 28, 2005

Cuddling up to my Tozer

One thing to know about me: I go nuts over A.W. Tozer books. There may be quite a few quotes on this blog from his various works. I love to study theology and here's the best quote I've found that explains why I do.

"There are two ways to approach God: theologically and experientially. You can know God experientially and not know much theology, but it's good to know both. The more you know about God theologically the better you can know him experientally...the purpose of doctrine is to lead you to see and to know God experientially, to know God for Himself, for yourself. But until we know God theologically, we're not likely to know God very well experientially."

Of course, then a few sentances later he talks about God's ineffability (incapability of being expressed into words).

"We don't know what God is like. If you can think it, it isn't God...God is unimaginable, inconceivable; you cannot get into your head what God is like, or visualize God's being. the rule is, if you can think it, God isn't like that."

I love A.W. Tozer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home